I have a big roll of asphalt roofing (can't remember why I originally bought
it) that I have used for patching up missing shingles. It's nice because you
can unroll a piece that's big enough to cover what you need. Knock on wood, all
the areas that I have patched with that are still OK. I use roofing
tar/adhesive to glue it down, and roofing nails if I can tuck them under
overlapping shingles.

I'm probably close to needing a complete re-roof though. Not sure about going
with asphalt shingles again, or metal or some sort of composite. I like the
look of spanish tile but as the house was not originally framed for that I'm
not sure the trusses would take the weight. However you can get "fake" spanish
tile that is a composite and much lighter than actual clay tile.