The H7-equivalent LED lamps came yesterday.  I installed them.  First I
put an H7 in the spare headlamp to see what stock lighting looked
like, aimed around the yard at night.  Surprisingly feeble, with a
rather short-height high-beam bar of light.  But it works well on the
road.  (I drove the car with the properly-installed H7 in it, the high
beams are indeed _much_ better this way.  So, that had been a
problem ever since we got the car.)  Then I put in an LED lamp.
Nothing exploded, and light came out.  The pattern looked pretty
similar, but did seem perhaps 2x as bright, and was certainly
whiter.  (Verging on blue-ish, but I don't think objectionably so.
And, these are high beams, so how they appear to oncoming drivers is
largely irrelevant, since they shouldn't be on in those conditions.)

Testing, such as it is, passed, I installed them in the car.  That was
a bit fiddly, it looks like the bulbs are intended to go in multiple
ways, just in case they have to be rotated due to the unavoidable
directionality of the LEDs vs the reflectors.  (Probably for use with
low beams, which I would not do.  I also noticed that the city light
socket on the other side is also broken, and was wedged into place
with a wad of blue paper towel.  Perhaps I should have ordered two
replacements?)  I then took another test drive.

Yes, noticeably brighter.  The light pattern seemed good while
driving, and turning high beams off made the lighting seem much
dimmer, which was not the case when I first started investigating.
We'll see how these hold up, I put the old H7s in the trunk just in
case the LEDs crap out on the road.  There were no lamp-out
indications, which is good.  (Some cars don't like some LED bulbs.)

-- Jim