Microsoft doesn't try too hard anymore about copy-protecting Windows. They are
stuffing more and more adware and tracking into it so the more people they can
get using it the more money they make.

As a company, however, Windows is not their future. They are selling cloud
services now. Office365 and Azure. They are milking Windows for money but it's
not their flagship product anymore.