So the connection socket is _not_ a pivot.

You got it.

But that would have a lot less leverage than a typical 3-point. Do you
happen to know what sort of weight limit it has?

I don't know, I suppose it must be written down somewhere.  The
hitch metalwork is pretty stout, I can tell you that.  I think it's
maybe 5/8" by 3".  We ran a 2-bottom plow off of it, that little
4-banger was working pretty hard.  Any weakness it had was not in
the hitch!

Ya, I'm thinking the same thing. The third "point" stabilizes, and allows
the load to pivot off the center of gravity.  So, how does a two point
system do this?

The third point, if you will, is part of the tractor rather than part
of the implement.  It was slung underneath the tractor, and eventually
linked to the forwards hydraulic actuator.  (For pitch control.)

I suspect that the 3-point hitch has a little more versatility in
its ability to couple to weird-shaped implements, especially when it
comes to setting the base pitch of the implement.  But the Farmall
offered the ability to adjust the pitch on the fly, which was rather
handy when running the plow.  (It's what set the angle of attack
of the shares.)  Implements designed for the tractor, of course,
would probably not be at any disadvantage, as the attachment point
for the hitch system would be placed wherever it needed to be to
get the geometry right.

-- Jim