On 2023-09-27 08:17, M. Mitchell Marmel via Mercedes wrote:
Skilled Sopwith pilots could use the gyroscopic action of the rotary engine
to enhance turning in one direction, and their skilled opponents
knew this.  I wonder if it would be possible to throw in a ringer by
rigging the engine to turn in the other direction so that it was better
turning in the opposite direction?

I don't know if it's internet myth, but I read somewhere that the Red Baron had modified the engine in his Fokker to run backwards so he could be the only one who could turn left, giving him a huge advantage over anybody who went 270 degrees right to turn left.