I have to think dealer techs (mostly) know what they are trained, which is
going to be first and foremost the model years that are still under warranty,
since that is most of what a dealer shop sees.

Sure there are old-timers around but I doubt the dealers see very many ten year
or older cars these days. I wonder what the average years-of-experience of a
dealer tech is?