I have just completed an engine switch on my 83 240D.  One of the
last things I need to do is bleed the clutch cylinders.  The manual
says it has to be done backwards (fluid from the slave cylinder to
the brake reservoir).  I am not sure how to do this and was hoping
someone on the list has done it.  What is the best way to do this?

You need a three-foot (or thereabouts) length of tubing that will
slip tightly over the bleed nipples on the brake and clutch cylinders.
Next you put it in place and crack both bleeders and then you pump
the brakes some number of times.  (I always seem to use the RF brake.)
Close the bleeders and see if your clutch acts right yet.  Repeat as
required.  This is a perfect time to bleed the brake system and put
in new fluid, if you haven't done it more recently than two years ago.
It's also a perfect time to hose off your driveway if, as always
seems to happen to me, the hose pops off at least once during this
procedure.

-- Jim