I had the same problem with my '79 300SD when I replaced the front calipers. I
ended up filing part of the caliper body for clearance. I actually now don't
remember if the pads didn't fit, or maybe it was the caliper that didn't quite
fit the bracket without bumping into something.

I think different calipers could be used, almost randomly, mainly ATE or
Girling, not sure if there were others. You need to look at what you have and
order the same type. I didn't do that.