On 01/11/2023 1:22 PM, RICK HAWKINS via Mercedes wrote:
Folks

Put a tracker on the trailer from AirTag to cheap cellular tracker …. Devices
are cheap as is service if trailer is worth anything

Or move to a better neighborhood

Xx rick

The tracking device is a good idea. It is at my son's house which I would say is not a bad area.

Removing the wheels is a good idea too, although a bit of a pain if one uses it very often. We don't use it all that much. It makes 2 or 3 trips to the cottage during the summer and my son uses it to move a snowmobile a couple of times in the winter. Apart from that it sits.

I don't know if the perps would be smart enough to recognize what it was and avoid it,  but I also think seriously about putting my driver's licence number onto the frame in a manner that would not be easy to hide or remove. That would make it more recognizable and easier to prove ownership if it showed up somewhere. That number would be in a database that the police could search to find me. We used to use our social insurance number but have been told not to as the police are not able to search it.

Some form of welded steel locking device might make it difficult enough that they would look elsewhere. It would take too long to cut unless they came with a torch or were able to load it onto a truck or trailer.

I paid $2,000 for it a few years ago and it is insured for that but I think there is a $500 deductible.

Randy