On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Craig McCluskey wrote:
> I really liked the 7900 series modular scopes. We had a 7904 back at UT
> Austin that was very helpful with the kinds of signals we needed to see.
> The image intensifying CRT enabled me to see 10 Hz signals (from our YAG
> laser) at 5 ns/division with the room lights on. Sweet.
>
> Those and the 500 series plug-in mainframes (specifically the 506) with
> lots of little modules to do all sorts of things were just ideal. Why they
> discontinued them was beyond me.

The 7x00's were dropped because they are heavily FET based... (BTW I LOVE
my 7844 (true dual gun, but total overkill for anything I use it for)) I
think the option you are thinking of is option 78, P11 CRT phosphor...

If I recall the TM50x was dropped for the TM5000 series which basically
added GPIB.. The 50x series had some REALLY useful modules (I think there
was a double-wide function generator that still is pretty good
(sine/square/triangle linear/log sweeps/am modulation etc)....

-j.