In a message dated 7/9/2006 9:01:01 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Alternator in my truck was FUBAR.

I went to FLAPS and bought a  new one.  Both batteries passed load
test.

New alternator shows  12.94V at the batteries.  This seems low to me. I
took it back to  FLAPS, they put it on machine and said it passed.

My Idiot light  remains on.

Peter,

The light should intially come on when you turn the key to run, indicating  a
current flow towards the alternator, which is used to exite the winding and
get the altenator charging.  As soon as the alternator is putting out
current, the feed back voltage to the light should turn it out

In your case, if the light remains on with the engine running, I would
suspect the wire to the alternator is grounded somewhere between the alternator

and the key switch.  This would mean the alternator is NOT getting excited  and
output, on your vehicle would be zilch.  On the test bench, the  alternator
would look OK.

Good luck,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ