Totally agree. Whether it’s kids or adults, doesn’t matter. good opportunity to
end up on the wrong side of the lawn.

-D

On May 29, 2024, at 5:51 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

If you're pulling weapons on kids that are fishing you're doing it wrong,
trespassing or no...
Curt

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

 On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 3:50 PM, dan penoff.com<http://penoff.com/> via
Mercedes<mercedes@okiebenz.com<mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>> wrote:   A few
observations here:

1.) “Detention” ponds, as our former developer called them (and I regualrly
mocked them over this, too) are private property in subdivisions, and you
almost always see signs stating no trespassing/fishing, etc. It’s not about
being a d*ck with these, they almost always contain some less than pleasant
residents, like alligators, which will gladly come out and consider you for
their next meal. Really. So as a lawyer, Randy can appreciate the risk exposure
in a situation like this.

2.) As with those old dudes that yell at the kids when they walk on their lawn,
often times gaining access to these water features involves walking through or
across someone’s yard. Say what you want, but it’s trespassing. We had an issue
with this in a former home where we backed onto a wooded area with a detention
pond in it that was popular with the local kids, and we had no fence in the
backyard like our neighbors, so the neighborhood kids would cut through our
yard to get to it. That wasn’t a problem for us, but when people from outside
the neighbohood started showing up, parking on the street, leaving trash and
making a lot of noise with boom boxes and such, we put a stop to it. Not sure
what drove the sudden interest in the place by outsiders, but we didn’t mind
the neighborhood kids walking through as they were respectful and didn’t make
messes or noise.

3.) The first incident the writer references would be typical in our former
neighborhood. Someone would go out and let the people know it wasn’t cool to do
this, and they would leave. No biggie.

4.) The second incident, with the guy wielding the knife, is a random psycho
event and not unusual for Florida as there seems to be a lot of bizarre folks
in Florida, especially in more rural areas (which this used to be.) Starkey
Ranch is a HUGE area that’s literally thousands of acres of single family home
development, so statistically speaking, there’s bound to be some off-kilter
folks there.

With the recent changes in concealed carry laws in Floriduh I would be more
concerned about someone who is carrying. I can outrun a guy with a knife.

-D

On May 28, 2024, at 6:53 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>