For comparison my 86 E350LWB conversion w/ 6.9 and C6 gets 15 pulling a 17 foot car trailer at up to 60MPH and around 12 at anything up to 70. Above that it REALLY drops off...to around 8 I think, with 3.73 gears. At 55MPH it doesn't matter if it's empty or pulling a 36' camper it gets 15.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitch Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Ford Ambulance F/S

Robert & Tara Ludwick wrote:

That beast would probably get somewhere around 12-18mpg depending on the
rear end ( possibly 20, but I doubt it with the dually rear end , they
really like to put the 4.10's in those things)

A 1990 IDI could get that much?
Of course, the rectangular ambulance body makes it practically
a box truck as far as aerodynamics goes, that can't help.
I know a 3sp C6 dually pickup with the 6.9IDI will not
get 10mpg at anything over 55mph, but I assume this 1990 might
have an overdrive.

As for the 4.10, five years ago it was the tallest ratio that was
made for the axle used in the dually. Not sure about 1990, but I
doubt you could get 3.73 in a dually back then. The early Dodge
diesel with the 3sp 727 tranny could be had with a 3.08, at least
in SRW form. I'd like to put a 5sp in one of those and see if 28mpg
is possible.