Actually on a 722.9 the TCM is embedded in the conductor plate along with a
couple of internal speed sensors the connections to which can be repaired if
that is the failure mode. Not a good environment for sensitive electronics
bathed in hot fluid.

Usually the failure mode is either one or two speed sensors or everything goes
wonky when the TCM fails. In that case you get nothing on a scan but a bunch of
solenoid codes.

There are some outfits that can repair the sensors issue. For everything else
you can gamble on a used CP or buy a virginized CP. These need to be
programmed/cloned to the car which depending on how you deal with can be
$0-$400.

The ISM ( a stupid idea for a motorized shift motor that selects P R N D) can
also fail and it is also programmed to the car. One of those is like $300 off
eBay or again a used one might work. All these bits talk to one another. ISMs
can be a real PITA to swap depending on the car. On my S550 4matic the first
instruction is “remove transmission.”  There is zero room to get it off. It was
doable on the ML by removing the front driveshaft and rear transmission mount
then pulling it over with a come-along. This gave me about 1 inch to get it
off.

I have gotten pretty good at swapping CPs and I have a buddy who can do the
cloning but unfortunately he is indisposed at present. I have my ML63 sitting
at his shop waiting for a new CP to be cloned. (I also replaced the ISM, the
original CP was probably OK but for reasons I don’t now recall I pulled it and
broke it hence the need for the new one).

When he becomes available again I’m going to get him to show me how to do the
cloning on both bits. You need a special box to talk to the fancy computer and
connect to the CP or ISM and have to go way down the vendiamo rathole into the
controller but it’s pretty straightforward once you see it done. I see cars
like this and for maybe a few $100 I could get them sorted with not a lot of
hours invested and flip them or drive them.

--FT
Sent from iFōn