Any one ever had a ring gear that came adrift from the flywheel? I bought a parts/fixerupper manual, "77" 240D (from a list member actually) knowing it had a toasted clutch and a starter problem. I pulled everything apart yesterday and the clutch material came down in chunks and powder, (gag) I have a flywheel from a parts car that I will use as I think the original f/w would be ruined because the ring gear spins around quite freely. I am wondering, simply out of curiosity,... the toasted clutch and the "spun" ring gear must be related, but how? The car couldn't be driven with either one of the problems. This isnt a rant or complaint, its going to be a nice car, just wondering if anyone has had this problem. BTW neither the original or replacement F/Ws have alignment marks (except mine) so I'm just bolting it up and hopping for the best :-)

Regards
        Steve
"85" Euro 240D, 5 spd manual, 110K
"79" 240D, 5 spd manual, 20K on eng rebuild
"94" Dodge/Cummins PU, 100K
"64" VW Bug
"65" D15, AC tractor