Ok, sports fans, daughter-unit bought a new college car this evening. Her
high school car is for sale. Someone is going to get one hell of a deal on
this -- in fact, I am thinking of buying it myself.

1989 Pontiac Sunbird. Butt-cute (has been sideswiped and the driver's door
closes only to the first stop -- easily fixed at your local pick & pull).
Some minor rust issues but no rust-thru's. I was planning to hit it with
POR-15 before she headed off to college, but not now that it is for sale.

By the way, the car's name is Kurtie. Took 3/4 tank of fuel to go round trip
from home to Kansas City -- probably about 35 mpg+. $200 audio system (what
else would a high school student have?), AM/FM/CD. I still have not found
the on/off button on it, so when I drive it I just turn the volume to zero.
I do NOT like Megan's choice of radio stations. Brand new left front tire (4
weeks ago) and new exhaust system (2 weeks ago).

The important stuff is under the hood. Bullet-proof four-banger engine. Only
80K on the car. Brother-in-law (my mechanic) installed new water pump,
timing belt and head gasket at about 65K. Absolutely no oil loss. Had
Mobil-1 until the last oil change (2 weeks ago) since when we bought it when
Megan was 15 (she is now 19).

You could easily drive this car coast to coast a couple of times without
worrying. I am very anal about auto maintenance and that philosophy has
trickled down to Kurtie.

$1000 firm. Pick up in Jefferson IA. Don't bring a car hauler -- you can
drive it home. I will be happy to pick you up at Des Moines or Ames airport
and give you a sofa bed for the night.

Purchase price is less than fixing one winter's worth of rust on your Benz.
No pressure -- this thing will be sucked up within three days of being
advertised. Good, inexpensive, reliable cars are hard to find and this is
definitely one.

Ok -- why is Megan selling it?  She was recently involved in a head-on
altercation between a friend's car and a telephone pole (at 35 mph). She got
smacked in the face with airbags. ... Kurtie doesn't have airbags and she
now (having been there) wants a car with airbags.

So, if you want a winter beater or have a high school student of you own you
needs wheels, this would be a good candidate.

And if no one wants it, that is cool. I sort of want it myself.

D.

--
Proudly marching to the beat of a different kettle of fish.

BIODIESEL -- no oil war required.

1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed
1972 Honda CB-500K motorcycle