rumor has it that kevin wrote:

> I NEVER thought that I would end up with a car that has this
> problem, but  old Granny has decided to spring it on me!  She won't
> shut off with the key,  so I have to use the stop button under the
> hood.  Before this, there was a  wire under the dash that would
> cause the starter to cut in and out if it was  jiggled, but that's
> all fine now.  Everything under the hood looks ok,.  I  thought  it
> must be under the dash at the ignition switch, but that looks  fine
> too.  Could the ignition not be sending vac to the shutoff?

By any chance, did you just replace the oil filter? I seem to knock
loose at least one vacuum line every time...

>  My next
> test is to hook up a line directly to the shuttoff and try pumping a
> vac on  it or just use the old fashion method, sucking on it.

Yup. Good plan. I have only changed them on the 4-cyl engines. There
it's easy. I suspect it's a bit snug on a OM617.

Kaleb will probably even give you a good deal on a used shutoff!

--           Philip, with vacuum working again.