[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
MBUSA recently directed their dealers to revise their oil usage as follows:

All AMG models Mobil 1 0W40.
All other models 1998 and later Mobil 1 5W40 EP with changes at 12-13000 miles.
All models 1997 and earlier 15W40 conventional oil.

That sounds like somebody has paraphrased what's been published already and done it badly! In the past Mercedes recommended synthetics for ALL engines, but permitted conventional oil in '97 and older engines.

I will comment after I read what Mercedes says from the fatherland! I have NOT found MBUSA to be a particularly reliable source of information about things "Mercedes" and verbal reports from dealer employees to often be wrong and sometimes downright dangerous!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)