Gather round, Y'all and I will fill you in on my cheap A/C experiment for
my 400k SDL    (Toada/MB hack)

Since Jim Cathy is the inspiration to all us who are broke or cheapskates,
I'd like to credit Jim for his assistance and inspiration.  I probably
would not have started this adventure if not for 2 occurrences: 1:  A post
from Jim that some Camrys (Camrii?) also have ND 10P15Ccompressors as does
my SDL, most 201s and some 124s.  2: The opening of a GenUwine Pick n pull
yard within a reasonable distance.  Y'all would not be reading this if Jim
had not encouraged me to write up my findings.

Here is the situation:  Been gassing up the A/C on the SDL for each of the
last 3 years.  Last fall the KLIMA relay bit the dust too.  The compressor
is leaking out the old seals, so its death is approaching.  So in order to
avoid the bad car-ma of having bits of the innards of the compressor strewn
through the innards of the A/C system, we deemed it was time to buy a new
compressor.  So, here is the approximate tally:

Compressor $475-500
KLIMA  ~ $100
Receiver/drier  ~$25
Gas      ~$25
etc

So, in order to keep my cool, I was looking at $700+ for a car the probably
would not bring over $1500 on a good day.  I decided that was too much to
spend on the SDL, wonderful as it is.  I was contemplating just using it in
the winter and letting it rust away, as a sacrifice to the rust
demon.  Then the 2 above mentioned incidents occurred in close proximity.

On my first foray to the PNP, I was discouraged.  I found only 1 10P15C
with the right hose setup.  A very tired old compressor that looked like it
had quit and had the belt cut off years ago.  I decided to pass on that
one.  This week I did some more searching and asked Jim again what cars
also had 10P15C compressors.  Between Jim and the searches I found out that
these cars had the 10P15C compressor:
83-86 Camry
85-87 Corolla
Some 4-runners
some integra
and Lincolns from some year (maybe 85?) to 1991
(there may be more)

If your car has a 10PA15C, then that compressor is used on most later
Toyotas.  Read on for more detail.

Armed with this info. I went to the PNP again, a week later.  I found some
in the Lincolns, but they looked like a bear to get out.  It looks like you
have to drop the engine/front subframe, then pull the compressor....bad
news.  So I kept looking.  I found LOTS of later Toyotas with 10PA15C
compressors.  I had some info that many of the later 124s and 126use the
10PA series.  My 88TE has the 10PA15C.  I know it was said that the P and
PA series are NOT interchangeable, but I found a nice clean 10PA15C on a 90
Camry and removed it along with a chunk of both hoses.  It was charged, so
it looked like a good compressor.  Turning it by hand it seemed to work
great.  I held it up close to a 10P15C and discovered that the manifolds
were different sizes and I could NOT use the MB manifold from my P
compressor on the PA series.  Hmmmmm.  I found 2 older camrii with the
10P15C compressor.  both looked old and fairly dirty.  I decided to try the
better looking of the 2.  I figured if it held gas, that it was better than
the compressor on  my car.  It had a full charge of gas, so I picked it
off.  Nice thing about camrii:  all you need to pop off the compressor is a
12mm socket and rachet and a 3" extension.  2 bolts for the hoses, 3 bolts
for the mounting and snip the wires.  It is ALL done form the topside!  Wow!

SO, I checked out with my haul ($25 each + a $10 core charge) and figured I
had at least a couple of options:
1.  Swap the clutch and manifold and use the 10P15C from the 86 camry.
2.  Figure out a way to bolt up the PA, and have a good reliable
compressor, if I can find a MB manifold for it.  (Still have to swap the
manifold and clutch
3.  Figure out the way to bolt up the PA, swap the clutch and do a hack job
to use the Toada hose sections spliced into the MB hoses (shudder)  (Don't
do this on a good car!)

When I got back, I took off the compressor form the SDL.  It appears it
might be the original.  If it made 400K, that is pretty good service.  I
know it made at least 230k, because i have never changed it.  Either way, I
think it has given good service. Looking at the compressor mount on the
engine, it looks like the mount is specific to the P series.  I am guessing
the PA mount is different.  ***If anyone has a spare PA compressor mount on
your junker, spare OM 603 or just sitting on a shelf, I'd like to have
one!*****

I decided in order to get the car in running condition ASAP, i should use
the P series  from the 86 Camry.  If I can find a MB manifold and a
OM  engine mounting bracket for  the PA, then I can try fitting it later.

I have not worked on any AC clutch since the old Yorks.  Getting the clutch
apart was an adventure.  First remove a 12 mm nut.  The Yorks use a tapered
shaft to hold the clutch.  The ND has a straight shaft with a key.  If you
have a puller, you might get one to work for the MB clutch.  I pried it off
with 2 screwdrivers. Not bad on the MB clutch, but on the toada, it is
recessed inside the pulley.  On the toada, I used a plastic drift to punch
the shaft back.  That got it started. then i used a pin punch through the
pulley slots to persuade it off.  Next is a big snap ring that holds the
pulley on.  Got those off and removed the pulleys on both compressors.

Having the clutch and pulley off, the coil is next.  If I wanted to hack
the wires on the car, I could just use the same coil.  I wanted to keep the
car harness original, so I opted to change the coils.  The coil is held on
by another big snap-ring.  when I had both coils off, I started cleaning
parts, especially the stuff that was loose and the area around the manifold
on both compressors.  With clean parts, I installed the MB coil on the
Toada compressor, and put on the snap ring.  then the pulley and the snap
ring.  Next was a small spacer that was on the MB shaft but not on the
Toada shaft.  Then the clutch, secured with a washer and the 12mm (Wrench
size) nut.

Not too bad, once you figure out how they are put together and how to get
the clutch off.

I was too late to get gaskets for the manifold and o-rings for the hoses
today.  One place in town has both, and another could have them in the
morning.  I forgot to order these from Rusty ahead of time!

I ordered a new receiver/drier from Rusty for this one and some more parts
for other cars.  All that is left now is to swap the manifolds (4 bolts)
and install the "new" compressor.

It looks like I will have working A/C for less than $100.  Not bad for a
cheapskate!  I have attached a picture of the 3 compressors side by
side.  On the left is the 90 camry 10PA15C, then the MB compressor, then
the 86 camry 10P15C.  Note the weird pulley that extends over the clutch on
the 86 compressor.  That is a pain.

Most MB later than 87 have the PA series of compressor.  I am not positive
which years and models have which.  Just look at the tag on the back end of
your compressor.  Another way to tell is the P series I have seen have the
speed sensor wires coming out the rear of the shaft.  The PA series have
the speed sensor wired coming out the bottom center, on the outside
radius.  For any of you that have a 10PA series compressor on your MB and
want a cheap fix when you  compressor craps out:  87 up Camrys are
plentiful.  Just pick out a newish looking one, make sure it is charged
when you take it off (no leakers), remove 5 bolts, snip the wires and take
it home.  Buy a compressor manifold gasket kit  with o-rings (Rusty has
them) change out the manifold and clutch and install it.

One caveat when reinstalling the clutch:  The distance between the pulley
and the clutch is critical.  The ND clutches seem to be self-spacing.  If
there is a spacer in your MB Clutch, be sure to transfer it to the "new"
compressor.  Check the clutch for engagement before you
reinstall  (energize the coil and be sure the pulley turns with the
shaft)  Also check the pulley for free spinning with the coil de-energized.

One note about SDL A/C: as most of you know, the SDL on R-12 is barely
adequate when in slow traffic/city driving.  On 134a, you might as well
shut off the a/c and open the windows.  The 90 Camry had a 10PA17C.  This
has a slightly larger displacement than the 15C.  I would really like to
get a MB manifold and the correct mounting bracket for my OM603 engine,
because I think this compressor, with a switch back to freeze12 or some
other R-12 substitute will give better results than the original.  It would
be nice to be cool in city driving on 100 degree days!

YMMV

Loren Faeth