-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Frederick
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:27 PM

They are out of service for two reasons -- noise (minor) and severe
fuel consumption problems.  Not really possible to remove the center
engine and rebuild the tail so you could put CFM-56's on it, and I
suspect the 757/767 classes have better wings, too.  Same fuselage on
the 757/737 anyway, no change there.  I suspect there are airflow
problems with large bypass engines stuck on the sides of the rear
fuselage, too -- no one has put them there since the 60's, and I don't
believe any were high bypass designs, either.