Do the fuel lift pumps of 60X engines go bad?  Is this a common problem?
Are they expensive to replace?  Can they leak?

I have an inconsistent fuel leak from my '95 E300D.
It is hard to start and looses power sometimes when accelerating.
I suspect there is a leak somewhere upstream of the FI pump.
It may let air in while running and fuel out when parked (sometimes)

Anyone familiar with the 606.910 can tell you that you cannot see the fuel
system with the engine running.
And to inspect the fuel system, you have to remove the crossover pipe, and
usually the intake manifold - then you can't run the engine.

So the only way I know to repair a fuel leak near the injecton pump is to
remove the intake system and start cleaning and replacing everything that
looks suspicious.

Is it worth replacing the lift pump while in there?

Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2
'85 300D
'80 300TD