I think Marshall's argument was that the coolant is designed to the correct pH
when mixed with tap water...something about buffering...and if you used
distilled water, it would not balance right.

 I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think that was what he said.
Apologies to Marshall if I'm not remembering correctly.

 Since water is different everywhere, pH and mineral wise, I can't see how that
argument works.

 Oh yeah, he also said (and we all agreed) that the pH of distilled water is
acidic and that is bad. I argued that with distilled water, you have a known
starting point and can formulate the coolant accordingly.

 -Chris

dave walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: What would be in tap water that would
make it better than distilled?
Chlorine and fluoride? Around here we get a good dose of heavy metals,
PCB's, any who knows what else from lake Erie. Oh, and don't forget
the yearly outbreak of E-Coli when they close Edgewater Park.

-Dave Walton
87SDL, 94S350, 99E300

On 9/10/06, Christopher McCann  wrote:
> It was distilled water. Marshall and I went back and forth on this for a
> while. The conclusion was that two maps were produced of the US - one from
> MBUSA and the other from the USGS. If you live in an area with high mineral
> content in the water (I forget what concentration), then use distilled. I'm
> in Kansas City, and I use distilled - HIGH mineral content hear. Other places
> it is not necessary.
>
> Marshall was pretty adamantly against distilled, but MBUSA, in their
> newsletter to Indy's recommended it for areas with high mineral content
> water...actually, I think they recommended it everywhere.
>
> Marshall argued that the coolant was not oroginally designed for distilled
> water. I countered that the formula may have been changed the rec may have
> been rethought for some reason. THAT question was never resolved.
>
>  Chris
>

> OK Don  wrote: Marshal gave us a detailed analysis of why not (or was it
> distilled
> water?) a while back. I don't remember the details, but I think it
> came down to 'if it's safe to drink, it's OK for the car'.  If in
> doubt, the bottled drinking water sounds like a very good solution.
>
> On 9/9/06, Desert Rat  wrote:
> > Same issue here Hendrik, although our high mineral content with
> > natural hot water is great for the pools. For that reason,  I use
> > store bought drinking water for my radiators and batteries. Read
> > somewhere not to use demineralized water.
> >

> --
> OK Don, KD5NRO
> Norman, OK
> "The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've
> exhausted all the alternatives."
> Sir Winston Churchill
> '90 300D, '87 300SDL, '81 240D, '78 450SLC, '97 Ply Grand Voyager

> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
> -1985 300SD, 216K, "Wulf"
> -1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
> -1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1985 300SD, 216K, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.