From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:55 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 201 Power steering/ NO-NOs!

In a message dated 9/13/2006 5:51:22 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I'd  asked this a couple weeks ago but got no replies, has no one ever
replaced a  w201 power steering pump?
I have no idea how the hell to get the  thing out. I *think* the pully has
to come off, looks like 3 bolts, well I  sure as hell can't get 'em off.
I figured I'd get 'em off the  replacement tonight to prove thats the way it
goes. Well here I am snorting  and fighting with the thing when it occurs to
me I'll have to get 'em off the  one actually in the car. Theres absolutely
no way I can hold that pully tight  enough to get the bolts off without
seriously mauling the pully. I'd bet with  a c-clamp on it I could pull 'em
or with an air gun but theres no place to put  the gun in the engine bay.
Maybe with 2 wrenches at the same time?
I'll have to get growing that extra arm!

-Curt

Curt,

Autozone , and others, I am sure, will loan you a pulley puller kit which
is designed to remove the power steering pulley in place with no damage to
the pump or pulley.  WEDGING tools is guaranteed to break some parts inside
the pump.  HAMMERING is a  NO- NO too.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ