I'm under the presumption that I have not overadjusted it since I never got
to the point where turning the input shaft to the box produced an immediate
movement in the output shaft.  Like I said, there was about 6 inches or so
of play at the steering wheel when I got the car and tightening (or
loosening as it were) the adjuster as much as possible got it down to around
an inch or so at max adjustment (there was a linear correlation to the
tightening of the adjuster and the reduction in play).  I've had the car for
a year or so and have yet to ever see it where "turn wheel left" equals "car
turns left" or at least in an immediate reponse to a change in direction.
It's not HORRIBLE now...  (I grew up on farm tractors where steering was
always a little loose)  But it's certainly no comparison to ANY rack and
pinion steering on ANY vehicle I have ever driven.  Maybe someday someone
can give me a satisfactory explanation as to why Ma Benz thinks (or though,
I think she changed a couple years ago, right?) gearboxes are better than
rack and pinion?  I don't exactly understand what's going on in that
gearbox, but from my standpoint, there's a lot of crap in the way with
either rack and pinion, or gearbox, and I've never had a rack and pinion
die, let alone ever need adjusting and it always was of the linear steering
motion instead of dead on center like these...

So..  I'm ASSuming that the box was simply pretty much whooped when I got it
and some idiot made it looser at some point, and I have gotten it as tight
as possible, but not to a "tight" spot, but that after adjusting the bolt
out that far, I'm simply putting too much strain on a seal or some such
thing.  I see it looks like I can head over about 30 minutes toward Mike
Canfield's house and pick one up from an 83' 240D for about $58 that is
supposedly an "A" grade.  Suppose I'll try to do that this weekend or
soon...

Levi