The Benz (1980 300CD)is due for an oil change. Happy to see the filter is
accessible from the top of the engine (never done my own change on this beast
before.) Plan to use Wilton's $2 supersucker to drain the oil.

The Official CD is not terribly helpful. It indicates that I am to tighten the
two fastening nuts on the filter to 20-25 NM. What is that in foot-pounds? Also,
the diagram shows a shaft or tube running up through the middle with cryptic
warnings that if I put it back together wrong my doom is immanent. Do I need to
fiddle with the shaft thing and the spring on it in order to change the filter?

Lee