On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:59:11 -0700 David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mitch Haley wrote:
> > Jim Cathey wrote:
> >
> >> Our ISP, as a service enhancement, has eliminated our webmail
> >interface.
> >
> > I suppose you could either call tech support and ask them to delete
> > the 6mb email message (I did that once back when my modem was 14.4k)
> > or use something like Yahoo mail to download/delete your messages, and
> > the forward the important ones back to yourself. I know Yahoo has a
> > POP download feature, I would assume Gmail has it too.
> >
> I once resorted to telnetting into a POP server to manually delete a
> troublesome message that my email client couldn't handle.  It turns out
> POP is an easy protocol to deal with -- most of the commands are plain
> English.

I run Linux and use poppy for this very purpose. It's at

             http://freshmeat.net/projects/poppy/

"Poppy is a small Perl script that will individually retrieve only the
headers of mail messages from a POP3/IMAP server and then allow you to
view, save, or delete each. This is especially good for systems with
limited resources like limited disk space, slow connectivity, or no GUI.
It is also good for managing your mailbox when your normal mail reader is
setup not to delete mail off the server or is having problems downloading
large emails."

Works great.

Craig