There is a doohickee for sanding sheet rock at the local big box hardware shop. Supposed to be a dustless thing. Uses a 5 gallon bucket and smaller diameter vacuum cleaner hose to a perforated handle you clamp the sanding screen on. Hook the one hose to the sander block, the other hose goes to your vacuum. Many adapters for if you use large shop vac or house vac.

ANYWAY, the shop vac side has a coupling with an adjustable neck throttle. Open it more to reduce the amount of suck, shut down for more suck. Makes a hellacious noise. It does keep the hoses and bucket from collapsing in. Maybe you need to make a coupling with a hole drilled in large enough to back down the vacuum.