If you've got water in your trunk, most likely it's from a leaking trunk
seal.  I've seen water in my trunk on my 83' 300D though I haven't gone
looking for the culprit.

Though come to think of it, both of my Subaru's have had water in the trunks
and those were from leaking seals around the taillights.  Perhaps that's the
problem here as well.  Again, I haven't gone looking yet as my trunk with
the greasecar tank isn't exactly a place I would keep anything important
unless it's in a storage tote or something else that would protect it... (:

Levi