In a message dated 10/13/2006 6:01:48 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My '79  non turbo 300D idle speed sometimes surges for no apparent reason
. It in  fact happenen once when I was watching the engine and there was
nothing to  explain the cause - eg aircon/linkage play/ fan come on  etc
. I can  only think than something in the transmission is causing a load
change on  the engine? Any ideas ??
Peter

Maybe a dollop of blowby oil is collecting in your intake and when it gets
big enough it rolls on into one or more combustion chambers.  same with the
vacuum pump. a cracked diaphragm could be feeding oil to the intake.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 263 K miles