The 240 engine is not the only 4-cyl MBZ made. There was a 4 cyl, 5-liter (!) NA diesel truck engine used in Mercedes airport-shuttle-type busses. A friend of mine has a 309 converted to a motorhome (it was mentioned on this list for sale, I passed the info on to him, and about a year ago he bought it) and my brother, a diesel mechanic, has driven one also. Both report lots of torque and very satisfactory around-town performance. My friend got high teens for mileage with his--even as high as 20 mpg on some tanks. They're really lugging engines, though, meant for slow-speed delivery or hauling, not highway cruising. I'd rather have that mill in a motor home any day than a LeSharo 2.2D, which was a small, light-duty diesel that would actually stall out in first gear on steep mountain grades.

Dan
--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 "JX" TD conversion, "DK" trans, 188k