They have been the same starter since the mid 80's. Bosch SR67X.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of MICHAEL ESH
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:48 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] 240D vs 300SD Starter

240D vs. 300SD Starter  - My understanding is a starter for the
300D/300SD spins faster than the 240D starter and will fit in the 240D.
Can anyone verify that?  I have a 1983 240D with 282,000 miles on it and
I want drive it this winter.  I am going to need all the help I can get.
In preparation I have adjusted the valves, new air filter, changed all
fuel filters and put in new glow plugs  Also, what are the differences
between the two starters?  Do they look different or do they  have
identifying numbers or marks?

Thanks,

 Mike in Michigan

[EMAIL PROTECTED]