I failed to get into the 116s. They are supposed to sit in 2nd and go into first when you hit the throttle. MANY of them the system has failed and they start out in 2nd. They are VERY slow starting out in 2nd, but not as slow as a 240d.

Mitch Haley wrote:

Luther Gulseth wrote:

Someone find where the factory manual says that the transmission is suppose to
start
in first and then I'll believe them.

I've got the W116 update book that introduces the 300SD to the dealer mechanics.
It describes the fact that the tranny naturally starts in 2nd, and how the same
relay that triggers the switchover valve also triggers the kickdown solenoid
when
the driver releases the brake and starts hitting the throttle. So we know that
the original turbo car was supposed to start in 2nd, although mine and Chuck's
don't due to aged electrics. I'll leave it to others (Marshall, where are you?)
to state which W123, W124, W126, and W201 cars start in first. Mitch