I don't have a good answer for you...
I have some theories.
#1 As carbon collects it grabs some iron thats floating around in the engine.
Grabs is the wrong word, the iron collects with the carbon. Then when the
carbon is released the iron is also but while the carbon blows out of the
engine the iron sneaks down into the oil.

#2 As the carbon blows out of the engine bits of iron that it was attached to
flake off and sneak down into the oil.

#3 Due to poor maintenance on the part of the previous owner (there lots of
other more obvious examples of this) sludge has collected in the oil pan which
is slowly being released into the engine by the detergent action of the clean
oil I'm using thus releasing iron that was trapped in the sludge.

I've been considering something like Auto-Rx or Amsoil's Engine Flush to get
the crud out more quickly, but based on the last result I'm tempted to just
change the oil and test again at 8,000 miles. I suspect (hope) I'll see an even
slower rise in iron this time and maybe after another change or two iron levels
will stay in normal territory.

-Curt