the 94 was a john browning design and would be the lever action we
would generally have the greatest familiarity with. it's a sweet gun,
but you find most of them in 30-30, which is just not that interesting
a cartridge for me.

I have one in .44 mag.  I like .44 mag, don't ask me why.  I prefer
the medium loads, not the hot stuff.  If I was after deer, the 30-30
would be a better choice (in 94's) I'm sure.  I don't have one of
those, but I do have a pot-gun in 45-70/.22 that's probably good
for taking rabbit-chasing deer.  Get the rabbit for lunch, and
the deer for dinner!  (I don't hunt, however.  Only old Mercedes.)

useful today as they day they were first produced.  i mean, is there
really a better pistol than the 1911?

Sure.  Depends on your purpose, of course.  For swimming armed in
salt water it's hard to beat a Glock, for example.  For pure esthetics,
though, the 1911 is pretty sweet.  Your best bet is to own one of
everything!

-- Jim