OK, so I swapped out the steering box in my 83' 300D.  I haven't driven it
much yet, but someone explain this to me:
--As near as I can tell, the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the
box is more or less slotted with a knotch where the allen bolt tightens down
the clamp from the box around the shaft as well as so that the shaft could
not slide out of the box as long as the allen bolt is in place.
So...  If that's the case, then when swapping gearboxes, what could allow
the wheel to not be straight when the old one was?  It's just off a ways,
not like 180 degrees.  Or is there some adjustment where the steering arm
attaches to the box?  (My replacement box had an arm connected so I
disconnected at the tie rod ends.)
I guess my main concern is that I could not have somehow gotten the shaft
in  partially turned where it could potentially slip.

-Other minor issue:
Where exactly is that power steering filter supposed to be?  My pump went
dry and I was looking at the bottom of the reservoir which appeared to just
be flat with a few holes.  I have a new filter and I didn't see anything in
the pump that looked like that unless it's submerged down in flush with the
bottom of the reservoir.  I was wondering if someone just took it out at
some point.  But it would seem like they would have had to have put in a
different spring at that point as well...

Anyway...  NOT a fun job to do by oneself.  Without another 6 inches to my
arms it was near impossible to get the new box in and line up the bolts by
myself.(which got more fun out in the gravel driveway as the sun went away)
(:  Luckily the wife came home and managed to get the bolts started while I
manuevered the box.

Thanks!
Levi