Psst ... here is a hint. Get to know the candidates. I don't mean just watch
their ads but get to know them. Eat with them at a restaurant. Invite them
into you home for a fund-raiser. Email them and reply to their reply.

This works only at local (state) level but it works. You'd be amazed at how
much the candidates respond to your interest. And, you get to meet and talk
to some pretty famous folks during the process.