http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-190D-2-2-1984-Mercedes-Benz-190D-2-2-5-Speed-Diesel-RARE_W0QQitemZ230045584693QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6335QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Nov 02 00:55:02 2006
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:48:51 -0600
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
From: Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 110 Chassis 200D Questions

If the wiper motor is cycling, and the wipers don't move, most likely you
only need to tighten the nut on the wiper motor shaft.  An easy job from
under the dash behind the glove box.  If the paper under dash liner is
still there, you will need to remove and replace it.

Check to be sure the wipers move freely before tightening it down. If one
or both of the wipers are stiff, then try lubing the shafts.  to do this,
remove the wiper arms and then remove the chrome cover.  If one of the
shafts are frozen, you have a bigger problem.  I had to remove the whole
wiper transmission and do some surgery to get one of them going.  NOT
fun... It is easier to change the blower motor.

Heater valves:  remove the under dash cover, if it is still there.  Drain
the radiator.  If you only need to work on the valves, you are ok to proceed.

BUT there are 2 short pieces of hose between the hot water manifold in
front of the firewall, and the heater valves.  If these have not been
changed in 10 years or so, you want to change them now, before they
leak!  To do this, unhook the hoses going to the heater, 2 from the
manifold and 1 for the return.  Un hook the "moose antlers"  (defroster
ducts) then remove the control cables from the heater, being careful to
note where everything goes.  Take out the  bolt holding the heater to the
dash, up on top, near the rim of the blower fan.  You can then remove the
whole heater/fan unit, replace/repair/lube the fan motor, replace the 2
short hoses and work on the heater valves in a comfortable position.

Heater valves:  Easy!  take the screw out, remove the lever plate and the
retainer plate.  Put the screw back in part way, and remove the core, being
careful to mark which side of the square lug that holds the lever and
retainer is UP.  Once you have the cores out, clean them and go to your
local hardware store and get new orings (4) unless you had the foresight to
order them from Rusty.  While there, get some water pump grease or
waterproof grease.  Install the orings, grease the barrels and reinstall.

If you  lubed the fan motor and replaced the hoses, you should be good for
another 10-20 years.

Good time to flush the cooling system while you are there, then refill the
radiator.

Happy klattering