Last year i had to buy a NEW$$$ right headlight for my SDL after the nighttime pheasant attack. After theat, the right headlight is noticeably brighter than the left. Moral of the story: even glass headlights loose effectiveness over 18-20 years.

The fix: Cathey's original statement. Only dollar bills applied generously, can clear the headlights.

At 08:23 AM 11/2/2006, you wrote:
>>> I was looking at my daughter's Toyota and noticed that the lenses are
>>> not as clear as they were, so, I was wondering if there is a product
>>> to polish/clear plastic head lamp lenses?
>>
>> Dollar bills, applied in quantity, seem to be about the only thing
>> that actually works.
>> -- Jim
> -----------------------------------
> Doesn't jewelers rouge give a mirror finish?  Seems like that might
> work if
> you can find it.

There are any number of polishing compounds, including McGuire's,
rouge, toothpaste, etc.  But the usual problem(s) with headlights
are that either 1) the plastic is getting rather pitted with rock
bites, in which case the pits are relatively deep and you're talking
about removing a measurable amount of material, or 2) it's getting
discolored, in which case no amount of polishing will do anything,
it's a change in the bulk material.  If they're glass #2 doesn't
apply, but #1 sure does!

The switch at the front of cars away from hard chrome and (hard)
inexpensive replaceable glass to modular plastic profit centers
was pure evil!

-- Jim