Well up here in Canada where there about 500+ running about locally, I'll comment a bit.

I'll note the performance is like say a 240D, mind usually the performance is fine for daily driving, even on the highway. People who drive them usually figure out how to shift the auto-manual tranmisssion so that it's not clunky as reported by CR. First wave of drivers were folks who were early adopters and perhaps making a fashion statement, the current wave is people who've figured out that it gets 3x or 4x the milage of your average Detroit SUV on cheap diesel, so if you drive 30K miles a year one can quickly add up the savings.