I seem to remember those whackos from Top Gear crashing a smart into a brick wall and it stood up quite well. In 20 years from now I'll probably be driving an electric smart, or perhaps I won't. Personally I liked the roadster but they have stopped production I think. BTW the local dealer has 4 or 5 smarts stacked up outside in a display and yes a few people have bought them.

Hendrik
not smart enough to drive a smart

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Brodbeck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] DaimlerCrysler's latest blunder

Glenn M. Brown wrote:
It would be downright dangerous to ride a bicylce, motorcycle, or drive a Smartcar in any sort of urban American traffic with the USUV numskulls on their cellphones.

I think the Smartcar wouldn't be as dangerous as a motorcycle or
bicycle.  For one thing, when you see one in person, you realize that
they're quite tall.  Unlike some older small cars, which had low
rooflines, the Smart is easily visible in mixed traffic.  Secondly, it
reportedly has quite a strong safety cage around the passenger cabin,
which should help prevent injuries in low-speed, in-town sorts of
accidents.  In higher speed collisions the lack of mass and the lack of
available space for crush zones would be more of a liability.

I think the biggest problem is they're just plain expensive.  At $30,000
it's priced way out of the normal economy car segment.  You could, for
example, buy two Honda Fits for that price -- each of which would carry
more stuff and get 3/4 the fuel economy.  Unless the price comes way
down, the only people who buy Smarts are going to be people who want
them as fashion accessories or for environmental "street cred."