Wow, that is a long list. I'm not sure I'm ready to jump into that. Are all of these issues found in the 1989-1991 TE wagons too, or just the E320 wagon?

Thanks friends

John Peterson
Kingston, RI
1991 300D 2.5 84k

Gary Thompson wrote:
Just a couple of issues to keep in mind.

1) This is the 24-valve M104 motor, introduced in 1993. Very nice
power and reasonable economy.

2) Prone to engine wiring harness failures. Not too difficult to DIY
replace if you can keep organized, but kind of expensive (~ $800?).
Very expensive if you have a pro do it.

3) Cruise control/throttle control unit suffers from the same wiring
issues as the rest of the harness. Easy to replace, but expensive (
~$1000 for new, $400 for rebuilt).

4) A/C evaporator failure is a major disaster. Book time to replace is
somewhere near 15 hours for a pro, maybe a little less for someone who
does them every day. Almost the entire interior has to come out to get
to it. I've been quoted in the neighborhood of $3000 by a guy who does
several a week. I've heard anywhere from 10 to 70% of these fail
depending on your regional climate. Must have something to do with the
number of expansion/contraction cycles it has to undergo during normal
operation.

5) EGR tubes tend to plug up. Mercedes has released a new part which
is better, but it's a minor PITA to replace without pulling most of
the top bits off the engine first (fuel rail, intake manifold, etc.)

6) Some people have experienced head gasket failures such that oil
will start to leak between the head an block on the left side. I've
heard this typically started to appear between 60 and 90K miles, so
you might take a close look at this.

Other than that, a great car. Handles very well, reasonable power,
lots of room. If you can find one with a newer wiring harness and a
known good evaporator, I'd say go for it.

Gary Thompson
Georgetown, TX
1995 E320   129Kmiles

  I'm seriously considering a '94 E320 wagon for my family- I couldn't get
  everything in to my 1991 300D.  What do we know for strengths and weaknesses
  of these cars?  What should I look for on one with 94k on it?

  John Peterson

  Kingston RI

  91 300D 2.5 84k