-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John M McIntosh
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 4:48 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] smart USA vehicle announced

Well if they are talking about oil changes every 12,000 miles, and
service checks every 25,000 miles they are really
into the consumer doesn't need to get access to the engine now. Most
I guess will run until the idiot lamp (needs service) comes on, most
interesting one is when water separator becomes full because local
(low volume) diesel station is selling water infested diesel fuel,
then engine stops.... Still it warns you, but people report warning
versus stopping is iffy...  I *belive* the new one is using different
engines, not MB made, so I cann't comment on how they will work.

Versus the weekly check on the two diesel with flashlight to see if
anything odd (or leaking) is happening.

On 10-Nov-06, at 2:34 PM, R A Bennell wrote:

> He did open the back hatch and lift a lid (if I recall correctly -
> it was months ago) on the floor but it was just
> a storage compartment. I did not ask about a dipstick but he did
> say it is designed to be serviced on a hoist from
> underneath.
>
> Randy

John
1983 300TDt  372k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  180k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 184k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)