If I understand it correctly, the transfer of power to the front wheels is
operated through the ASR system, which may be the same as found on 2wd
vehicles.  I suspect that if the rear wheels begin to slip, the computer
sends hydraulic pressure to bear on the semi-locking rear diff and the
transfer case actuator.  Dunno for sure.

On 11/16/06, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Computer-controlled clutches of some kind inside the center
> differential, making the front/rear torque allotment variable.

I didn't see anything like a third spider gear set.  Maybe
just a slip clutch, but it wasn't screamingly obvious to me,
who can't read German except "Was ist los, Aki?" and the like.

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler/propane injection #22 (219k)
'84 300D (218k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)
http://users.zhonka.net/zeitgeist/Misc/IMG_0171.JPG