I've got a bit of nailing going on with my '83 300SD. It's got a tank of homebrew bio D in it from the previous owner. This may have something to do with it and may support your theory of water passing through the injector nozzles. Many diesels do have water separators on them, and unless it's a raycor or similar, the average MB diesel has none. Regarding the difference in sound from a NA diesel and a turbo diesel, I do notice it being blind hahaha! I anticipate an injector swap on my car as well since it sounds more like my previous NA 300D's than the 617 turbo diesels I've heard.

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1983 300SD 284K miles, Ursula