Mitch Haley wrote:
to use the 16v for a daily driver this week. I put a used control valve in it, and now it goes up and down when I work
the lever on the valve, and it holds base pressure. I want to get rid of my test fluid (universal farm hydraulic oil) and
put in something close to what is supposed to be in there before I install the new accumulators. </p><p>Is it
safe to use the tractor fluid for a few days? The stuff is kind of smelly, so I worry about it harming the rubber
bladders in my accumulators. </p><p>I found an old message from Meade that suggested 5606A aviation fluid was
the closest match, but it seems the stuff is outdated. Common stuff now if 5609, 5606B might be available, I think it
superceded 5606A. My neighbor, the ex aircraft mechanic, suggested that 5606B was very much like Dexron, but I don't know
if he was basing that on facts or just on them both being red and thin
. !
 He did say it had less viscocity loss than 5606A when warm. I'm thinking Dexron wouldn't be likely to damage the bladders in my new

From Dave Bruckmann:
The MB fluid 000 989 91 03 is known as ZH-M. As a matter of interest, you can order the
exact-equivalent Febi 2615 fluid from Rusty for about $9/Litre. Look under
"suspension" on his website.

Pentosin 11S supercedes 7.1 in VW/Audi applications. The 7.1 fluid is
G-002-000-G and 11S is G-002-000 (no suffix). It says (on the 11S bottle) that
it's not miscible with 7.1, but Audi service bulletins specifically indicate
that 11S can be used in a 7.1 system (but not the reverse; 11S is a better
fluid than 7.1; it's synthetic and has a higher flashpoint). Neither of them is
the textbook-correct MB ZH-M fluid (mostly because of colour, I suspect!), but
either will work in W123 applications. They are mineral based and won't attack
seals etc. 11S meets the MB 345.0 spec vs ZH-M's 236.3 spec. Perhaps Marshall
or someone with the TDM can look up whether that's the standard we're aiming
for.

You can check:
http://www.pentosin.de/eng/products/chf/body_hydraulic.html

As an aside, I'm currently running with Pentosin 11S in my wagon because I had
some kicking around. The previous wagon ran Febi 6162, which is equivalent to
Pentosin 7.1 fluid.

If I were you I'd just order it from Rusty; it'll be way cheaper than the VW dealer, where they want about CDN$ 22/Litre for 11S.

 You can use VW mineral hydraulic fluid G002000, also known as
Pentosin 11S. It is green, and should be available at any auto parts store or VW/Audi dealer. Usually between $10 and $20/litre, sold in 1L square steel cans.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)