FYI, D-C has been making the S class cars in both regular (note: NOT "short") and long wheelbase versions for some time. MBUSA, in its infinite wisdom, selects what versions they import to the USA, which in some years is only the "L". The latest S-class cars are available to others in the world in both wheelbase versions. And in Stuttgart, we were recently "educated" that they don't call the regular length cars "short"; they are the "regular" length.
The difference is about 4" (10 cm).

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] SD vs. SDL

Zoltan Finks wrote:
The designation SDL sounds familiar, as does SEL. But I couldn't tell you
what sets them apart from the SD and the SL.

More specifically, I'll mention that my wondering whether there was such
thing as an SDL was ended tonight in a mall parking lot when I saw an one.
Looked to be mid to late 80s. Of course long wheel base and top of the
line-looking, including headlight wipers.

So is the SDL simply a top of the line SD?

An "S" class car that's a diesel will be an "SD" and if the body is
longer than the standard sedan an L is added to the designation ("SDL").
Thru 1985 all "S" class diesels were SDs. In '86-87 all the "S" class
diesels were SDLs. In '90-'91 most were SDLs but a few SD were
manufactured. I believe that all the W140 diesels were in the shorter
chassis.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.