A Syncro setup can be bolted up to a 2WD Vanagon, but the stumbling block
comes from the fact that the factory mounts for the front suspension must be
torched out in order to accommodate the 4WD attachment points--so, there's
no going back once you've started.  Additionally, relocating and mounting
the fuel tank above the tranny takes some modifications.  You essentially
require an entire donor chassis in order to pull it off correctly.

Mounting a Syncro assembly into a T2 bus seems way beyond what I'd ever want
to tackle, and a T3 chassis is far far superior anyway.

The 1.9L IDI engine can be reliably modified to approximately 150hp, so
there's plenty of power available, which should help to increase longevity
in a Van.  The VE pump isn't as robust as the inline versions, but I've
never had a single instance of failure in my dozen or so VW/Cummins engines,
so I'm not too worried about them.   They're simple and relatively easy to
work on should one need to...unlike the inline pumps.  Any rig I'd use out
in the boonies would have a full complement of gauges, so monitoring the
engine conditions would be key.  I drove down to nearly the Guatemalan
border and back in a '70 T2 with idiot lights and a handful of tools and
spares, so I ain't too worried about the ruggedness of these units.  They
can handle it.