hi John!

not sure what might have given you that idea; actually, SoCal's where i grew up, and first learned to drive on the road. ;-)

now i'm in the SF Bay Area, and frankly, it's no better here (especially in the East Bay). AAMOF, speaking as someone who spends highway time all over this state (and others), the average level of drivers vehicle handling skill seems to be better in SoCal. (note that i didn't say they drove better; just that they're better at handling the vehicle.)

perhaps it's because i grew up in the SoCal environment, and when you learn in the middle of the Acid Test, everything else seems easier by comparison. perhaps it's because i've been playing and commuting for decades on 2 wheels, where the consequences of mishaps are less likely to be Fender Benders than Body Benders. perhaps it's my experience driving things that are bigger than the average minivan, or maybe it's motor vehicle training that started off-road years before i was old enough to get my first license. i truly don't think my racing experience has much factor in it as that only helped me learn more about how to handle the vehicle. maybe it's just my European heritage and experiences there that makes the average motorist in most of our fair country seem immensely unqualified to be sharing a highway with the rest of the General Public.

i didn't say it was easy, but i don't personally find it particularly or unreasonably difficult to stay aware of what's going on around me on the road; it's my primary duty when i'm at the controls. it's accepted as a matter of fact in other countries that take a Drivers License more seriously than California apparently does; being aware of what's going on around you isn't an unreasonable expectation of someone operating a vehicle that likely weighs multiple tons, and is required for driving responsibly.

cheers!

John Freer wrote:
Ernest,

Sounds like you have never driven in heavy LA traffic at 70 mph with
motorcycles legally driving in between cars with clapped out old
Impalas darting in and out of lanes at 85 plus.

Of course it is our responsibility, but it isn't as simple as you make
it out to be.