on 12/8/06 4:29 PM, Donald Snook at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sometime ago several folks suggested that I needed a monovalve on my
> 1990 300SEL.  I have no heat.  The blower motor blows but it is only
> cold air coming out.  It comes out the vents.  Do I need a monovalve? If
> so, how do I put one in.  Someone sent me a link to replacing it, but I
> could not open the link.

You replace the piston insert and seals/washers inside the valve using a
rebuild kit. It's an easy (20 minutes or less) job and won't be a huge pain
even if done outside at this time of year.

If your SEL has the monvalve in the same place as my '82 SD, it's to the
right of the battery, inside the false firewall area. Top comes off with
four screws, DON'T DROP THEM 'cause you'll never see them again in there.
Pull the assembly out, lay it on a flat surface and match up the pieces from
the rebuild kit, then put it back in. Did I say 20, more like 10 minutes
probably.

I found this link that covers the procedure on an SL, same valve different
car:
http://www.zianet.com/SLlover/page62g.html

Cheers

Mac