Curt Raymond wrote:
> At 3,000 mile changes it sure does but at 10k like I run my Mobil 1
> (supported by
>analysis) it sure doesnt.
> So lets say Mobil 1 is $30 per change and Delvac 1300 is $10.  The oil filter
> is say $7.
> Lets even say I only go 9,000 on the Mobil 1 to make the math easier.
> I'm already up $14 and that assumes we don't look at my billable time of
> $25/hr for
>draining the old oil, changing the filter and disposing of the oil and
>filter...
> Sure I've had to run some oil analysis to get to the point I'm comfortable
> with 10k
>changed (and I suspect once my car's engine cleans out it'll go even longer).
>Larry's 3
>pack is $55, so after 4 changes I've paid for it...
> This also assumes that there are no other advantages in synthetic oil. I'm on
> in the
>camp that thinks of it as miracle juice...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />Marshall Booth wrote:
>>On top of that, group IV synthetics reduce cold start wear (greatest
>>source of engine wear in most engines) by 30-80% (depending on who's
>>statistics you believe). Then there is the much faster cold starting and
>>halved timing chain wear.I was only trying to point out what I feel is a
>>financial advantage of using Delvac 1300S
vs. Mobil M1 synthetic oil in one's MB diesel.  Depending on an independent
study being done
to verify an appropriate oil change interval for each of these oils and the
fact that MB diesel automobiles
have had a lengthy reputation for longevity and long before the advent of
synthetic motor oils.
The cold start benefit would also need to be independently quantified (15W vs.
0W, rather questionable
in my view), as well as timing chain stretch.

The prices for these oils at the local Advance Auto Parts:   Mobil M1
$19.88/gal.
   Delvac 1300S   $  8.98/gal.I was only trying to provide a very good
alternative for those who may be frugally minded, as the
last I knew there isn't any guarantee which comes wih the purchase of M1.G. M.
Brown
Rochester, NY